Get started with your

Child Medical Consent

Free Child Medical Consent

A child medical consent provides a temporary caregiver authority to seek healthcare and make medical decisions on behalf of a minor when you are unable to personally give consent for your child.

It is a legal document that allows a person with temporary rights to seek medical services and have the legal right to decide medical treatment for a child. It is generally used when a child is in the care of relatives, teachers/coaches, or other temporary guardians so the child will be given necessary medical care promptly in the case of emergency.

Click Create Document and let us get you started with your child medical consent. Just answer a few simple questions, revise as many times as you want and download your free PDF within minutes.

Download your Child Medical Consent anytime with unlimited revisions.

Ziji, Legal, Forms, Child Medical Consent


Answer simple questions
Review and download your document
Print and sign instantly

Child Medical Consent FAQs


What is a child medical consent also known as?

A child medical consent is also known as the following: child medical release form, consent to treat minor children, medical release form for minor, or treatment authorization form for minor.


What is child medical consent?

A child medical consent form is a document that parents/legal guardians can use to authorize another adult to make medical decisions for a minor child.  Accidents and emergencies involving children are very common so it is prudent to plan for them by having a medical consent form for your child.  A child medical consent form can prevent delays in medical treatments in cases of emergency when doctors and other healthcare providers cannot reach you, for example, your child having allergic reaction while staying at summer camp, or suffering from injuries at a sporting tournament.


When should you use a child medical consent?

If your child will be away from the parents/guardians for extended period of time, you should use a child medical consent to authorize another supervising adult to grant medical consent on your behalf.  For example, you may be away for an extended period for work or travel or when the child will be traveling or staying with a supervising adult in your absence.


Who can be the temporary guardian that makes medical decision for your child?

Any adult who is at least 18 years old can be the temporary guardian.  The individual you pick should be someone responsible, and respects your beliefs and wishes relating to medical treatments.  For example, a temporary guardian that will be making medical decisions for your child could be:

  • A grandparent
  • An aunt or uncle
  • A close family friend
  • A teacher
  • A babysitter


What should you include in the child medical consent?

The child medical consent should cover the following:

  1. The parent’s full name and contact information including full address and phone number.
  2. The child’s full name and health information including the child’s allergies, special needs, medication and illness history, and health insurance if applicable.
  3. The temporary guardian’s full name and phone number.
  4. The specific medical treatments the temporary guardian will be allowed to grant consent for your child.  For example, blood transfusion or vaccine use.
  5. The full name and contact information of your child’s doctor, especially if the doctor is a specialist treating your child’s special medical conditions.
  6. A start date and end date to limit the duration of the power that’s granted for the temporary guardian. If you do not know how long you will be away from your child, you may leave out the end date then the child medical consent will be valid until you revoke it at a future date.


When should you use a child medical consent and a child travel consent?

A child travel consent only grants the permission to your child to travel alone or with a designated adult without the parents or legal guardians.  A child medical consent authorizes an adult that is not the parent or legal guardian to make medical decisions for your child.  They are often used together but they are different consent forms and cannot be substituted with each other.  It would be prudent to have both documents completed and notarized before your child travels in your absence.